Private Plane

Private Plane?

New postby Hedy » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

What's the best type of plane? I'm looking for something not really like a private jet, just a small plane that I could use privately and fly for fun or travel and has a good price, not too much. Any models you could suggest.
Hedy

New postby Lashandra » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

You don't say what licence you have so I will assume none.

How about this.

Contact a local flying school and see if they are interested in leasing a training aircraft from you. If they are then buy a 2 seat trainer either a Cessna 152 or Piper PA38 Tomahawk. Lease it to the school while your at the office. It should earn enough for you to learn to fly virtually for free.

You can still use it for fun after you qualify but check with the school to see what they have booked with other students. It's not smart to ground a paying student.

When you are ready to trade up you can sell the aircraft to the school or to someone else and leave the lease deal intact.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com will show you what is available, you should find something suitable for under $30000

Ian M
Lashandra

How do you transfer from a private plane to a commercial...

New postby Tennie » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

How do you transfer from a private plane to a commercial plane?

I need to fly from Boca Raton to MIA and think I can get a friend with a plane to fly me down there. But how can i get from the private aviation side to my American Airlines plane? Will they let him taxi over to the commercial side and let me walk on?
Tennie

New postby Marianela » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

You will need to get a taxi from the private terminal to the commercial terminal. For security reasons there is no way you are going to enter the commercial terminal from the field.
Marianela

Can you land your private plane in any international...

New postby Maia » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

Can you land your private plane in any international airport?

And where can you park it? Do they have like hangers for guests?
Maia

New postby Ethyl » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

XP Pilot is partially correct. The answer is YES you can generally land at any international airport in the US. Most of the large ones require a 48 hour reservation. I've personally landed my plane at JFK, PHL and BWI.

Most large airports have a seperate runway for general aviation planes. Even Chicago O'hare is equipped with such.

The drawback however, as mentioned below, is the cost. Boston Logan International may get you for $200 landing/parking fee, while other airports such as Baltimore (BWI) has a $25.00 parking fee unless you purchased 5 gallons of fuel at an outrageous price.

You would be surprised to find out how many small planes actually land at these airports. Charter planes are big business these days.
Ethyl

Can you hitchhike on a private plane?

New postby Elenore » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

Is there any place to find out about hitchiking on private flights.even sharing the expenses? What I am looking for is a website or central bulletin board of which flights accept hitchikers.
Elenore

New postby Freddie » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

Would you post a notice on a web site every time before you jumped in your car? Traveling by private aircraft is much more like driving your own car. They don't have any set schedules or destinations, and fly when and where the owner/operator wants to fly.

At most General Aviation (GA) airports, you can find real old-fashioned bulletin boards where you can use a real old-fashioned pin or thumbtack to put up a real old-fashioned card or note about finding a ride, but don't count on anyone offering to take a total stranger up for a ride.

Perhaps your best bet is to hang out at a local FBO for a while and meet a few real pilots.

Good luck!
Freddie

What is the most expensive private plane in the world?

New postby Tamala » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

What is the most expensive private plane in the world?

Can you tell me who owns one?
Tamala

New postby Rolanda » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

Well, the Gulfstream V will set you back some 50 million, The global express and BBJ are in the same ball park.

Now, today the most expensive private plane, would be a Boeing 747 400

Turns out that Airforce One is not alone up there. The King of Saudi Arabia, The sultan of Brunei and the Emir of Kuwait have 747's, And I know somebody is going to say that those are not private planes, because they are State Owned, so lets turn to Mr. Kerry Packer, from Australia, he owns one too.
Rolanda

How much does a honda private plane costs?

New postby Geneva » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

Im just wondering, how much does it cost to buy and maintenance ? Im just wondering, how much does it cost to buy and maintenance ?
Geneva

New postby Ethan » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

Couple million to buy, when its new $20,000 or so a year for maint. Depending on if anything needs replaced or not. Must be inspected regularly. At your cost.
Ethan

How can I offset costs of owning a small private plane?

New postby Caren » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

I want to purchase a small single engine or light twin, but want to know ways I can offset some of the costs of owning a plane versuse renting. Go in on a partnership, figure depreciation value, lease back to a flight school, etc.
Caren

New postby Denis » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

1. You can offer charter flights for proms, weddings, honeymoons etc.
2. You can start a small express shipping company.
3. You can live in it and avoid paying rent somewhere else.
4. All of the above
Good Luck Be Safe
Denis

If I am a helicopter pilot, can I get my private plane...

New postby Tereasa » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

If I am a helicopter pilot, can I get my private plane certificate faster?

If you've read any of my other questions, you know I'm going to be a whirly pilot. I am going for my commercial license. I'd like to learn to fly planes eventually. I know it works that you knock a few hours off by going through plane lessons first, but does it work in reverse?
Tereasa

New postby Many » 28 Oct 2012, 04:25

The minimum requirements for an airplane add-on will be lower if you already have a helicopter pilot certificate, but there is no guarantee that you will finish in the minimum time. You will not require a written test, and you will also need less ground instruction because you will already have some knowledge of things like weather, regulations, navigation, etc. At the end of the day after you have already spent so much time and effort on your helicopter training, the savings on the fixed-wing add-on versus a pilot with no experience will be small, but it will take less time and expense for the average person.

Also, do not do airplanes first thinking you will save money on your helicopter training. That is a common misconception that doesn't work out if you actually tally the costs. If you want to fly helicopters as your career, then start with helicopters.

Caretaker - Sorry for the thumbs down, but I disagree with some of your statements. You make it sound like a helicopter pilot certificate has fewer privileges than an airplane certificate. In fact they are the same except that they apply to different aircraft. For flying airplanes, you need an airplane certificate. For flying helicopters, you need a helicopter certificate. For flying both, you need both. That's it. Sure, more people fly airplanes, but he has already stated that he wants to fly helicopters.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "more learning aids dedicated to fixed wing". There are textbooks and supplies for helicopters just as there are for airplanes, and there are many that apply equally to both.

I do agree that you should not attempt to train in both at the same time. That will just confuse you and cause problems for both.
Many

Next

Return to Air Travel