Heartgard For Dogs

Is Nuheart (or Other Generic Heart Worm Preventatives) As...

New postby Kacy » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

Is Nuheart (or other generic heart worm preventatives) as good as Heartgard for dogs?

Trying to save some money, but keep my dog healthy. Anyone who has used these before, or has any real knowledge please let me konw. Thanks.
Kacy

New postby Latosha » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

Look at the labels, if the generic has the same active ingredient/s as Heart guard, then they are basically the same thing. Just like Generics or store brands for people.
Latosha

What affect would eating a heartgard pill for dogs have if..

New postby Rhett » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

What affect would eating a heartgard pill for dogs have if eaten by a human?

I ws at work and there was an old heartgard pill that was opened and couldnt be sold. I joked about eating it but noone could tell me what it would do to me, if anything.
Rhett

New postby Novella » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

I can answer that. When my daughter was a littlie she got into everything. She would drag a chair over to the fridge and climb up on the back rungs like a ladder to get at whatever was on the top of the fridge. A real little bugger.

Anyway, she got hold of the dog's heartworm pills unbeknownst to me. I took the kids into Carols by Candlelight (yes, Christmas time). My husband turned up there and told me that he had found some of the pills spilt on the floor. Off to the hospital we went with her.

Anyway, the doctor told us that any medication for a dog was pretty much safe for human consumption. His wife was a Vet so he was pretty up on dog medications. After the initial panic, we don't think that she actually had any, just "played with them".

For all of you who are going to say "bad parent". The medication was in a cupboard secured with a child proof lock.

We have a giggle about it every so often and say that at least we know she doesn't have heartworm.

She is 14 now and somehow survived her early childhood, with a few trips to the hospital.

Edit: While it may not be dangerous, I wouldn't recommend taking them knowingly. Medications shouldn't be messed with.
Novella

Do I have to have a prescription to purchase Heartgard for..

New postby Maddie » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

Do I have to have a prescription to purchase Heartgard for my dogs?

Like if I order it online?
Maddie

New postby Ariel » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

The brandname Heartguard is a prescription drug. You can get both of its ingredients -ivermectin and pyrantel- OTC. You can probably even buy some other combo wormers of pyrantel/ivermectin OTC under a different brandname.
Ariel

Will it hurt to give a 35 pound dog a heartgard heartworm...

New postby Patrina » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

Will it hurt to give a 35 pound dog a heartgard heartworm pill for dogs 51-100lbs?

I have two dogs one is around 35 lbs and the other is 60lbs. I usually buy different sizes of heartworm pills and frontline treatment. I was just wondering how important following that was. would it work if i gave my 60lb dog a heartworm pill for dogs up to 50lbs. I dont want to hurt either of my dogs.
Patrina

New postby Will » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

Yes, the dosage is too high and you may harm your dog. The doage is based on weight.
Will

Heartgard for Dogs?

New postby Clemmie » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

OK, on the recent box of Heartgard I got for my dog, it says "Not for human consumption". In order for this to be printed, I have to think that some jack@ss actually tried taking it. Wouldn't you think so?
Clemmie

New postby Aubrey » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

I'm sure it's a liability thing. But, by dad ate a a beggin' strip to see what it tasted like (there was alcohol involved), and his name is Rod, too!
Aubrey

Can you cut Heartgard chewables in half for smaller dogs?

New postby Bette » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

I recently adopted a dog from a shelter. They gave me Heartgard chewables, but only had it for dogs 26-50 lbs. My dog is about 17 lbs. Also, they gave me Frontline, but it's for dogs 10 - 20kg (my dog is about 7.5kg). I can figure giving him about 3/4 of the Frontline, but what about the Heartgard - can they be cut in half?
Bette

New postby Christoper » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

No, you cannot. Your dog would NOT be getting the correct amount of the medication. It is NOT as simple as cutting the medication in half or at all. The truth is, he needs the CORRECT dose for his weight! Don't start messing around with his medications. That can be dangerous and it is NOT recommended.

And the same is true for Frontline... you cannot give a small dog 3/4 of a larger dog formulated Frontline. It has NOTHING to do with the actual amount of liquid, it has to do with the concentration! ALL Frontline vials regardless of the weight of the animal contain the same amount of liquid, but VERY different concentrations of the medication.
Christoper

Pet Med Comparison for Frontline & Heartgard (dogs)?

New postby Clarice » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

I use Frontline and Heartgard for 2 small dogs under 15 lbs; neither of which seems cheaper online vs the Vet. I was wondering, are there cheaper alternatives with about the same ingredients?
Clarice

New postby Gilberto » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

Try http://www.drsfostersmith.com . They are a huge online and catalog company. I buy my my K9 Advantix from there and it is a lot cheaper than the vet, pet store, and even Pet Meds. They have heartguard too and other prescriptions that your vet would have to call into them. My vet matches their prices and sells it for the same price they do.
Gilberto

Heartgard plus for DOGS.(harmful to cats?)?

New postby Scot » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

I had to give my dog Heartgard plus (for dogs up to 25 lbs) today so I took a chewable out of the package and accidentally left it out on the counter when i went to the next room, sooo, my cat got it and ate it. haha. Funny but I dont know if it will be harmful to him or not. do you?
I didnt mean funny in a mean way, I meant it like, "aww he thought it smelt good" ha.

Anyway, It's been an hour and he seems very much like himself. no tremors, no vomiting, no anything. He's just hanging out like usual. :/
Scot

New postby Kacy » 29 Oct 2012, 12:57

Call the vet - many medications that are safe for dogs are lethal to cats. This way you will know for sure, and won't be waiting for him to have a reaction. Some harmful things do damage to the kidneys and liver, rather than cause seizures, and that's a whole lot more subtle than tremors. Not terribly funny if he's having internal damage while you're wondering what to do.
Kacy

Next

Return to Dogs