Student Loan Advice

New postby Salvatore » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

They do not include them in income to debt ratio yet, but they do take them into consideration (when they will start and what the payment will be).
Salvatore

Can you give me advice about getting a private student loan?

New postby Margene » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

Can you give me advice about getting a private student loan? Can you give me advice about getting a private student loan?
Margene

New postby Flor » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

You can look for ways of getting a private student loan and this private student loan will need to be from a recognized loan agency. You should investigate the many possibilities before you select one at random. You should also see what the differences between a federal student loan and a private student loan are. Knowing these differences can be of help when you are trying to decide on an appropriate private student loan.

Some of the main differences that you will find will include having your loan approved of in minutes of the private student loan. With the federal student aid programs you need to wait until your loan application has been looked over. Once the loan has been passed in the private student loan you will need to wait only about a week to get the first of the funds.

This funds payment will take longer in the federal government loans. In the federal student loans you need to fill out the FAFSA form. Once this form has been approved of you will then be able to apply for the other student loans that you want. This is not the case with the private student loan. You can of course apply for the FAFSA form so that you are still eligible for other aid and for grants too.
To read the full article see:
http://www.shops-flower.com/1/studentlo ... -Loans.php
Flor

Student Loan. Any advice?

New postby Lashunda » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

Balance:$ 17,500.00
14.25%
Interest rate type: Variable
Unsubsidized
Accrued borrower interest: $1,591.18.
This is one of 5 loans that my husband has, I dont have to pay until 2010 but we are gonna start paying on this now. We are gonna send 150/month to the principal. About how long will it take to get this paid off or what is a good amount to send each month so that it wont hurt us later. Thanks in advance
Lashunda

New postby Ethyl » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

Well lets start with your interest, at this rate you will be accruing around and extra 1300 each year in interest. If you make payments at only 150 it will take you roughly 117 payments to pay this off with no interest accrued so think about adding close to another 25 payments so you will have to make around 150 payments that is nearly 12 1/2 years of payments, were as if you pay 300 a month that will cut it down to closer to 4-5 years and less money. Try to pay off as much as you can each month, it will save you alot in the long run
Ethyl

I can't find a student loan! Any advice? My situation...

New postby Tonie » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

I can't find a student loan! Any advice? My situation is unique.?

In order to fill out the FAFSA, I need a parent's income information. Well, my dad died last year, and my mother refuses to give me her info. She says I don't deserve college. All the student loans I have found require good credit. I don't have any credit; I'm only 19. I can't find a cosigner. All the people who are willing to cosign for me have really bad credit and have been denied. What do I do?
Tonie

New postby Tonda » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

I've found throughout life when there are roadblocks in life, like your mother refusing to tell how much she makes, there are ways around it. Maybe you could call FAFSA and tell them you are having difficulty filling in the form and ask if there is someone who could answer your questions. When you speak to the person, explain the problem that she won't tell you her salary but you know what she does for a living and that your father died last year so there is no income from him. I don't think your situation is unique, it likely happens more often than you think. There may be other ways around the problem that the representative can help you with. Anyway give it a try, you certainly do deserve college.
Tonda

I consolidated my student loan, and I think I made a...

New postby Lashunda » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

I consolidated my student loan, and I think I made a mistake. Any advice?

My student loan was approx. $25,000. My payments were over $300 a month. It should've been paid off in 6 years. I was having a difficult time making the monthly payments. I discussed my situation with the loan company over the phone. They suggested that I consolidate my loan to lower the monthly payments. I consolidated it on the computer and electronically signed. They said it would take 30 days for approval and they'd send me a letter with my scheduled payment plan. Well, I received the letter and there is an accumulation of $25,000 interest. So, I'm suppose to pay $25,000 for the loan +$25,000 interest for a total of $50,000. I'll be paying $200 a month for the next 20 years! My loan that should be paid off in 5 years will now take 20 years to pay. I need to call the loan company and talk to them, but I'm not sure what to say. Any suggestions what I should do?
The numbers are the approximates. That's why I said approx. $25,000 and OVER $300 a month. I don't have the exact figures in front of me because I'm at work and the letter is at home. When I get home from work, I'm going to call them and I want to make sure I do the right thing.
Lashunda

New postby Scot » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

Yes, something is terribly wrong there. I think it would be best just to be honest when you call them and say something along the lines of "I think I'm getting ripped off here..."

Did you consolidate with your original loan company or a different one? Also, do you have any paper work at home (the info you e-signed) stating what the terms would be when you consolidated? It would be a good idea to read over that application and make sure you did not sign up for this. When you speak to them, tell them that this was not laid out in the paperwork, not what you wanted, and that you want it fixed.
Scot

Does anyone have any advice on student loans and what to...

New postby Birgit » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

Does anyone have any advice on student loans and what to do with them after college?Besides paying them back?

Does anyone have any advice on student loans and what to do with them after college?Besides paying them back. Any information on consolidation or programs and plans would be greatly appreciated.
Birgit

New postby Genny » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

Yes. Go to my profile under finance there is all you need and resources for debt consolidation and student loans.
Genny

I need advice on student loans. What is the best kind? How..

New postby Stephanie » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

I need advice on student loans. What is the best kind? How much should i take out and for how long, etc?

I have to put myself through college this year. I'm weary of loans because i don't want to get into debt but i don't think ill be able to pay for any other way.any information will be helpful because i'm completely lost. whats a credible bank? how much should i take out to start? When should i begin paying them back? Is there other ways to fund it so im not in debt?
Stephanie

New postby Krysta » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

Federal student loans are the best. Best interest rates, best deferment and forbearance policies, lowest fees and you don't need a cosigner or have to pass a credit check. Some federal loans are even subsidized by the federal government. (Meaning they pay the interest while you are in school, not you.)
Apply at http://fafsa.ed.gov

This is a good book about the different kinds and the interest rates. There is a very nice table on one of the pages.
Perkins loans are the best to get.
Krysta

Where can I get financial consultation or advice on...

New postby Rosalia » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

Where can I get financial consultation or advice on student loans, consolidation, credit scores and mortgages?

I am a graduate student nearing graduation and have a heafty student loan around 160k. In addition, my credit score is poor because of a few missed payments. I would like to talk with someone who can give me unbiased advice on how to tackle my student loans as well as provide insight on possibly buying a house, consolidating my debt and raising my credit score.
Rosalia

New postby Denis » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

These question haunt many of us and if you can get it together and get over this in the short of it let us all know!
Denis

So, I am left with no other options.Any advice for a...

New postby Shana » 28 Oct 2012, 13:32

So, I am left with no other options.Any advice for a private student loan without a co-signer?

So, my previous question about applying with a cosigner helped but i do believe I may have a better chance on my own since my cosigners credit is apparently bad? UGH! soo now I must apply alone.I have ok but very new credit.any banks known to do this?
Shana

PreviousNext

Return to Financial Aid