Child Abuse Charges

Can You Still Press Child Abuse Charges 10years Later?

New postby Jung » 23 Oct 2012, 22:16

My mother was madly in love with an extremely abusive man. He beat me and my siblings badly. I have proof from the police but my mother wouldnt do anything about it. I have many witnesses and I feel like to move on with my life I need to take the step my mother never did and make this man responsible for all the traumatic things he did to us. I just really dont how to go about doing it. Is it even legal to still try and bring up a case?
Jung

New postby Gricelda » 23 Oct 2012, 22:16

Check on the statute of limitations in your state. If the police knew what the man was doing then why did they not inform social services to monitor the household?

You need to get some legal advice. If you have no money then you can start by contacting the Legal Aid Society in your state. The all have web sites.

If there are sill any minor children in the home, then you need to contact social services yourself.
Gricelda

What are the minimum requirement to press charges on child..

New postby Estefana » 23 Oct 2012, 22:16

What are the minimum requirement to press charges on child abuse?

Like. does there have to be evidence of physical abuse? or do you just need probably cause to take a child from a home?
maybe I didn't give enough detail. but considering that it is a personal issue. one of my friends is having the problem. and I was just wondering what were the minimum requirements to press charges. llike, can you press charges on verbal abuse? like yelling, or does it need to be more serious, like actual physical abuse?

and I'm not that young. its called misspelling you fking cock sucker.
Estefana

New postby Logan » 23 Oct 2012, 22:16

There HAS to be SOME kind of evidence or eye-witness account. Your just saying it happened is not enough. People are innocent until proven guilty in this country, and rightfully so. BUT- if you know someone is abusing their child, you should at least report it so an investigation can be done. If there really is abuse going on, there will be SOME kind of evidence. The children can be questioned and witnesses can be interviewed, if nothing else. But until someone is actually formerly charged (meaning some kind of evidence is present), the children stay at home.
Logan

Can you still press child abuse charges 10 years later?

New postby Eleni » 23 Oct 2012, 22:16

I had asked this question previously and was asked for abit more information.
My step father abused my siblings and I for 12 years. I ran away when I was 14. My mother loved him and never wanted to do the right thing for her children. We have records of the poilce being called frequently by neighbors as well as witnesses who are my family. I feel like the only way I can move on with my life is to press charges against him if I am able. I am 24 now. These crimes were commited in the state of Colorado.

Am I able to press charges or do anything that would make this appear on his records so he would finally be brought to justice?

Any useful help would be greatly apperciated

thank you
Eleni

New postby Tereasa » 23 Oct 2012, 22:16

If you call the police department and ask them they will tell you. Also calling a family law attorney should get you the answer. I think most attornies would not charge to answer this question. You should be able to get a free consultation with an attorney to discuss this. Be sure to ask about this when you call. I think you may have waited too long, but I hope not. Child abuse cases really should never have a time limit to prosecute. Good luck with this and don't let that slime ruin your life. Remember the best revenge is living well. Don't give him another minute of your life after you are done pursuing this matter. Sadly your mother is even more guilty for not protecting you.
Tereasa

Should the Avon Park FL police department face child abuse..

New postby Maxie » 23 Oct 2012, 22:16

Should the Avon Park FL police department face child abuse charges for arresting a 6-year old school girl?

In late March a 6 year old school girl was arrested, handcuffed (at her bicepts), fingerprinted, mug shot, charged with a felony & sat in the County jail until her mother picked her up. It seems that she was having a temper tantrum & the school called the police. Your opinion?
Maxie

New postby Elvia » 23 Oct 2012, 22:16

I think that the 'no tolerance' policy of many schools is taken to the extreme. It seems to me, that it would be difficult to charge this child with a felony simply for a temper tantrum unless she caused someone intentional physical harm. Need more info to say one way or the other but, I do think it is taken to the extreme in a lot of cases.
Elvia

Return to Law Enforcement & Police