Military Deserter

How Do I Ensure Someone Who Is A Military Deserter Gets...

New postby Dalia » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

How do I ensure someone who is a military deserter gets picked up and is punished?

I know someone who is a deserter and the warrant seems to be taking a long time to issue. She has since applied to be a correction officer with the state of texas and lied on her application. She should be punished and quickly.
Dalia

New postby Wonda » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

If she has applied to this corrections job as you state then you do not need to worry. She will be taken care of.

How exactly do you know about the "warrant"?

They do not issue warrants for their arrest. After they are deemed deserters their name and info is entered in the FBI computer system and if at any time in their life they have their name checked then it will show up.
Wonda

How can you tell if someone who has left the military is a..

New postby Vaughn » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

How can you tell if someone who has left the military is a deserter? How can you tell if someone who has left the military is a deserter?
Vaughn

New postby Klara » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

Ask to see his DD-214. Or take his name and social security number to the local police and ask if there is a warrant for his arrest.
Klara

Has the United States government ever executed a U.S....

New postby Rufina » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

Has the United States government ever executed a U.S. military deserter?

I heard somewere that the U.S. Government made an example out of a deserter during WWII, by putting him in front of the firing squad for execution, does anybody know if this is true?
Rufina

New postby Malia » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

Pvt. Eddie Slovik of Detroit was the last US soldier to be executed for desertion, although the death penalty for desertion still remains a possible sentence under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Slovic's execution by firing squad was carried out primarily as an example to others. He was only one of many soldiers who ran away during a battle, but was the only one executed for deserting.
Malia

What do you think about military deserters?

New postby Hayden » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

I am against war, and I feel some sympathy for people who get involved in it and can't handle it for whatever reason. It's proven that most soldiers suffer some psychological damage from war. I sort of believe though that if you sign up for the military, this is what you can expect to happen. I just read that penalties for U.S. deserters are small - they often return voluntarily and are discharged less than honorably. Do you think they should face criminal charges? I guess I feel that desertion is better than going loco and committing unspeakable crimes against innocent civilians. I would think that how patriotically charged this country is, that they would jail these people. I kind of think they're heroes - they're standing up against war in a way.
Hayden

New postby Margene » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

I think that you americans should make the laws more lax around this issue...most of your deserters from vietnam to now end up here in canada and they are starting to affect our high intellegence levels by shallowing our gene pool.
Margene

What to do with these military deserters?

New postby Dennis » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

Since fall 2003, 4,387 Army soldiers, 3,454 Navy sailors and 82 Air Force personnel have deserted. The Marine Corps does not track the number of desertions each year but listed 1,455 Marines in desertion status last September, the end of fiscal 2005, says Capt. Jay Delarosa, a Marine Corps spokesman.

This is utterly dispicable. People who join the military, knowing exactly what it is about, and then the moment that conflict is around, they desert. This is about as hypicritical as it gets. They want all the benefits without serving to do the duty they signed up for.

What are your thoughts on the appropriate actions to take against these dishonorable "soldiers" when they are caught?
First, I am a vet, so yes I do know the penalties for desertion.

Second, to plank the uber-lib, this IS a war. They know what they are signing up for when joining the military. This is not just a job that you walk out on because you don't like what your boss is doing. This is a DUTY, a commitment. Something uber-libs have a hard time comprehending.
Dennis

New postby Geneva » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

##rant starts here##
If you leave your post during a time of war you leave your buddies to die.

Simple. Death by hanging.

In Starship Troopers, robert heinlen put it well. they hung the young man at his basic training site in front of the other troops. That is something that you would only have to see once in a life time.

If you don't want to join up, thats great don't.

But if you put on my green and you want to run. I feel that the rope should be the last stop on their out processing.

##rant ends here##
Geneva

What are the consequences for a deserter of the us military?

New postby Anitra » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

What are the consequences for a deserter of the us military? What are the consequences for a deserter of the us military?
Anitra

New postby Tambra » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

885. ART. 85. DESERTION
(a) Any member of the armed forces who--
(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;
(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or
(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another on of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States; is guilty of desertion.
(b) Any commissioned officer of the armed forces who, after tender of his resignation and before notice of its acceptance, quits his post or proper duties without leave and with intent to remain away therefrom permanently is guilty of desertion.
(c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.

I really wish the hanging was still in effect.

Hope this helps with the Army side.
Tambra

A former coke head, convicted drunk and military deserter...

New postby Lore » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

A former coke head, convicted drunk and military deserter as President.?

Is that the best example for America's youth?
Lore

New postby Casandra » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

No, no it isn't, *lol*. :) And the mind boggles, doesn't it, that people who wouldn't get hired at Burger King to flip burgers or tend to fries are the ones running for office.

I mean, by that standard of competence, *I* should be Emperor of the Earth by now, right?? :)

And in case you are wondering, *yes* there *was* a drunk driving conviction in 1976, *yes* there was a desertion, it is in writing, the proof is there. Bite me.

But yeah, it is just appalling that all these rich punks were able to get away with *buying* out the highest office in the land and just putting some crackhead in charge.

Oh well....I'd best stop before I get too nasty with the comments. We all know who needs killin' mind you, but still, Yahoo doesn't like it when *real people* cut loose ("real people" being defined as non-troll, non-evangelical, non-bot and non-spammer...you know, the folks who *don't* get away with Murder on Answers).

Have a good one! ;)
Casandra

New postby Miquel » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

Everyone who commits a crime has his reasons for his criminal actions, so you are not alone.

But there are some REAL LOSERS the military doesn't want back, even as a prisoner, sounds like you are one. Worry not though, if your MOS is needed they will come find you and give you the option of war or prison.

But go ahead and take your chances, but if you turn yourself in you could get an article 15 for extended AWOL and a General-OTH discharge, maybe a couple of months behind bars, but if they catch you and send you to prison it will be after a General Court Martial for DESERTION, you will spend a couple of years behind bars and get a Dishonorable discharge, (and have to say "YES" to a felony conviction on all future job applications.)
Miquel

When a person is called deserter in Military.?

New postby Cornell » 27 Oct 2012, 05:36

When a person is Absent without leave then he/she is declared as AWOL ( Absent Without Leave ) .After 30 days of AWOL .He is classified as deserter .Does that mean that the person is deserter ? or it has to be proved that person is actually deserter .which means needs to be prosecuted under Article-85 desertion .If person is given discharge under Article 86, UCMJ (AWOL ) then can that person is called Deserter?

Or to be specific .If person is not processed under Article 85 and given Administrative Discharge with Article 86 then in this scenario . Classified as Deserter but finally settled with Article 86 .Does the person be called deserter in this situation ?

What should describe the perosn in this case .Deserter or Not Deserter ?
Cornell

Next

Return to Military