Scanning invoices

Is There A Way To Save Invoices Digitally With A Phone Or...

New postby Hyacinth » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

Is there a way to save invoices digitally with a phone or some other Scanning device?

Our company is changing health coverage to Health Savings Accounts. This will require individuals to maintain records themselves and store them for some time till you have enough money in the account to pay for them. Is there some way to save the receipts digitally at the point of purchase so to have the receipts. Would a Cell phone picture do this or is there a portable scanning device that you could use to scan the receipt to a pdf that you can store on your computer?
Hyacinth

New postby Jung » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

You could take a cell phone pic OR scan it directly into your computer for printing out later, but it would be a good idea to check with the administrator of your Health Account to be sure these are acceptable method of proof. That may work for record keeping, but you may still need to provide the original or a direct copy thereof.
Jung

Software that can scan invoices - OCR the invoice number...

New postby Shanice » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

Software that can scan invoices - OCR the invoice number and rename the file to the same number?

I'm looking for a cheap software solution that can batch rename image files by reading the invoice numbers written on them. So I'm guessing we would need software which we would need to select an area of the image that would tell the software where to look for the invoice number.
Any ideas on a software package that can do the above?
Shanice

New postby Ginger » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

"PaperTrack" is one such application. You can read more about it here:
http://www.document-management-software ... ricing.htm

There are a few other document imaging and management software out there but the price isn't cheap.

The thing about zonal OCR (OCR an area) and then using that to index (name the file) is that your zonal area will have to be the same for all invoices.

There are other strategies that you should look at. Consider bar code recognition. Bar Code fonts are plenty and free on the web. You can print labels using bar codes, create your own tables or databases and then now you have a ready tracking system. Most highspeed scanners (Fujitsu, Canon) are enabled with barcode recognition.

Another route is to create a MS Access database of your invoices creating a naming convention. Scan the paper using the scanner to auto-name the images. Now you have a database with which you can look up invoices.
Ginger

Can I scan invoices into a pdf file or some other format...

New postby Jamal » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

Can I scan invoices into a pdf file or some other format and convert it to an excel file? Can I scan invoices into a pdf file or some other format and convert it to an excel file?
Jamal

New postby Katelin » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

If your scanner cannot go directly to an xls file, see if you can scan to a CSV. That will convert easily to excel. .txt would also work OK, as long as it either tab or comma delineates the text.
Katelin

I scanned a document/invoice. The handwritten part of the...

New postby Evelina » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

I scanned a document/invoice. The handwritten part of the document was not readable. What happened? Fix it?

The typed part of the receipt/invoice is good. The part where the customer wrote in his own handwriting was undecipherable. It looked like another language. What can be done to scan it and send it to a place on my computer that will transfer it correctly so that I can read it and print it.
Evelina

New postby Danica » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

It will need to be scanned as an IMAGE not as text.
Computers are still USELESS at reading handwriting, as lets face it, even we humans struggle with some peoples.

Rescan but set it to scan as "part image" or "dociment contains image" and it should stop it "trying" to read the handwriting
Danica

If i scan a receipt, invoice or warranty, is it any less...

New postby Alethia » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

If i scan a receipt, invoice or warranty, is it any less valid? If i scan a receipt, invoice or warranty, is it any less valid?
Alethia

New postby Shara » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

If you are going to use the scan for a rebate, then yes. they only take originals.
Shara

I have a .pdf file of an invoice that I have scanned. Is...

New postby Glenna » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

I have a .pdf file of an invoice that I have scanned. Is there any way to edit the information on the invoice?
Glenna

New postby Joycelyn » 21 Oct 2012, 22:56

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat do you have Photoshop. If so you can just open it in Photoshop. erase and retype. Matching fonts may be a little problem if you don't know what text was used.
If you have a page layout program like Quark or Pagemaker that uses frames for text or objects, you can just draw a frame over what you want to change and fill the frame with white. I was able to do it in Indesign, but not being very knowledgeable in Indesign, it was a little harder.
One other option is to check if your scanner has OCR scanning. Makes a text document that you can edit.
Joycelyn

Return to Other - Business & Finance