Ionic Air Cleaner

What Is A Good Ionic Air Cleaner And Do The Negative Ions...

New postby Sigrid » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

What is a good ionic air cleaner and do the negative ions really affect your physiology in a good way?

I'm in the market for an ionic air cleaner and I dont know much about them. I was reading a bit here and there and apparently they can increase your mood as well lessen depression among other things. Is that true and what are the other pros and cons? What is a good ionic air cleaner for a decent price?
Sigrid

New postby Marcelle » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

Yeah, I had a couple in the house (got them from the internet, sorry but I can't remember the brand) they worked at first but after a couple of months they didn't seem to do much.

My advice is to really shop around and make sure it will do exactly what you want and go the distance.
Marcelle

Is the Ionic Breeze the best air cleaner?

New postby Joleen » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

My husband will not smoke outside so I need a good air cleaner that will not be too expensive and easy on the electric bill.Any information will be helpful.Thanks. My husband will not smoke outside so I need a good air cleaner that will not be too expensive and easy on the electric bill.Any information will be helpful.Thanks.
Joleen

New postby Abbey » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

Well my ionic breeze is expensive but only uses 11 watts, and this captures pollution, soot, cigarette smoke, dust, but I suggest that if you have asthma, you use a hepa filter as well.
Abbey

How can I clean the collection bar in an electrostatic...

New postby Barabara » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

How can I clean the collection bar in an electrostatic ionic air purifier tower?

I live with smokers and I'm having a hard time cleaning the tar and nicotine off of the collection bar.
Barabara

New postby Rachele » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

If you still have the owners manual, it will tell you how to clean it. Usually, just a damp cloth will do. But if that doesn't work, use a mild, non-abrasive cleaner. You could even try isopropyl alcohol. Just as long as it doesn't scratch or hurt the collector surface.
Rachele

Does the ionic breeze actually clean your air and help...

New postby Betsy » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

Does the ionic breeze actually clean your air and help with allergies? Does the ionic breeze actually clean your air and help with allergies?
Betsy

New postby Genevive » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

Yes, these are great. Personally, I have found that I had to clean and dust everything very well. A total cleaning and a no pet zone in the bedrooms. One ionic breeze is good for a regular sized room. If the place is dusty and dirty, the machine cannot vacuum and dust for you. The air smells like the negative ion smell after a rain. E-bay has new ones for about 1/3 the regular retail price and it comes with all the warranty information. Have a great breathe free zone.
Genevive

Is there such a thing that will clean the air in a room?...

New postby Barabara » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

Is there such a thing that will clean the air in a room? Air cooler or ionic thing? To purify the air?

Can you actually tell it works or is it just a gimmick?
Barabara

New postby Gino » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

They actually work if well maintained. I work in the pharmaceutical industry. The air quality in our manufacturing areas must be maintained at a certain level. The air quality is maintained through HEPA filters. The air quality is tested to determine the presence of viable and non viable air particulates.

You can buy a HEPA filter system for your home. I recently bought the IQ Air purifier. What is amazing is that our cat loves it. He will go up to it when it is turned off and meow until we turn it on. Then he sits on the piece of furniture closest to it and goes to sleep.
Gino

How do you clean the filter of the electrostatic ionic air..

New postby Sachiko » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

How do you clean the filter of the electrostatic ionic air purifer? How do you clean the filter of the electrostatic ionic air purifer?
Sachiko

New postby Krissy » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

Remove the filter. Clean with a soapy sponge. Re-insert. Keep looking hot ! I'm sorry beautiful lady but everytime I check these answers your pretty face makes me melt. I would clean the filter for you if only I could.
Krissy

How does a IONic fan works? i have a LASKO fan with a ION...

New postby Geneva » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

How does a IONic fan works? i have a LASKO fan with a ION button.how does it cleans the air?

The LASKO ION fan just had a button and a bright blue light.i can find a filter if any.
Geneva

New postby Hulda » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

I don't know about yours but most IONIC filters are a rip off. If it is truly an IONIC filter it charges the molecules in the air and sweetens it to make it smell better. It does it by causing some molecules to give off an oxygen atom which combines with another oxygen atom to form ozone (O3) Ozone is present in very large amounts immediately following and electrical storm. The heat and force of lightening frees lots of oxygen atoms to form Ozone. Information about another form of Ion filter is located on the web - Just Google
Hulda

Is there such a thing that will clean the air in a room?...

New postby Contessa » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

Is there such a thing that will clean the air in a room? Air cooler or ionic thing? To purify the air?

Can you actually tell it works or is it just a gimmick?
Contessa

New postby Rocky » 25 Oct 2012, 06:01

Anythinjg with a HEPA filter will clean the room and do it better than ionic air cleaners.

According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA_filter
"A high efficiency particulate air or HEPA (IPA: /ˈhɛpə/) filter is a type of high-efficiency air filter.

HEPA filters can remove at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 micrometers (µm) in diameter. Particles of this size are the most difficult to filter and are thus considered the most penetrating particle size (MPPS). Particles that are larger or smaller are filtered with even higher efficiency.

HEPA filters are composed of a mat of randomly arranged fibres. Key metrics affecting function are fibre density and diameter, and filter thickness. The air space between HEPA filter fibres is much greater than 0.3 μm. The common assumption that a HEPA filter acts like a sieve where particles smaller than the largest opening can pass through is incorrect. Just as for membrane filters, particles so large that they are as wide as the largest opening or distance between fibres cannot pass in between them at all. But HEPA filters are designed to target much smaller pollutants and particles are mainly trapped (they stick to a fibre) by one of the following three mechanisms:

Interception, where particles following a line of flow in the air stream come within one radius of a fibre and adhere to it.
Impaction, where larger particles are unable to avoid fibres by following the curving contours of the air stream and are forced to embed in one of them directly; this increases with diminishing fibre separation and higher air flow velocity.
Diffusion, an enhancing mechanism is a result of the collision with gas molecules by the smallest particles, especially those below 0.1 µm in diameter, which are thereby impeded and delayed in their path through the filter; this behaviour is similar to Brownian motion and raises the probability that a particle will be stopped by either of the two mechanisms above; it becomes dominant at lower air flow velocities.
Diffusion predominates below the 0.1 μm diameter particle size. Impaction and interception predominate above 0.4 μm. In between, near the 0.3 μm MPPS, diffusion and interception predominate.

The initial filter air flow resistance and final filter air flow resistance are typically measured as pressure drop across the filters."

There are vacuum cleaners like the Dyson and room ventalators that all have HEPA filters in them.

Here are just a few places where you can find HEPA filters.
http://www.overstock.com/search?SearchT ... 16320&fp=f
http://www.airpurifiersdirect2u.com/ind ... nAod7n5KWQ
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1260 ... 515x00001a
http://www.oreck.com/upright-vacuum-cle ... code=DB479
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=HEPA+filter

HEPA filters are not a gimic, but I think the ionic air cleaners are.

According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_precipitator
"An electrostatic precipitator (ESP), or electrostatic air cleaner is a particulate collection device that removes particles from a flowing gas (such as air) using the force of an induced electrostatic charge. Electrostatic precipitators are highly efficient filtration devices that minimally impede the flow of gases through the device, and can easily remove fine particulate matter such as dust and smoke from the air stream."

But, those are primarly for industrial applications. They inspired the ionic air fresheners, but those are not as good.

According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ioniser
"Air ionisers are used in air purifiers, though they are not efficient in this respect. Airborn particles are attracted to the electrode in an effect similar to static electricity. Heavier combined particles may precipitate (fall) out of the air.

The use of negative ions continues to be a less accepted mainstream therapy in Eastern Europe and the Far East than in Western Europe or the United States although problems with nosocomial infections (hospital acquired "super-bugs") have led the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK to do extensive research into the effect of negative ions on this area of hygiene. Recent SARS outbreaks have fueled the desire for personal ionizers in the far east, including Japan (where many products have been specialized to contain negative ion generators, including toothbrushes, refrigerators and washing machines). There are no specific standards for these devices."
Rocky

Next

Return to Other - Health