Lasik Cornea

How Can I Tell If My Cornea Flap Has Become Dislodged...

New postby Shaun » 25 Oct 2012, 14:25

How can I tell if my cornea flap has become dislodged after LASIK?

Also, can anything bad happen by letting a little bit of soap drip into the eye, and then washing it out with tear eye drops?
It's not that I want soap in my eye - it's that a little bit of soap dripped in this morning and made it burn. I put some drops in to wash it out, and aside from that, doesn't seem like anything's amiss. The eye that had a little soap in it is a little more blurry than the other, but that might also be natural.
Shaun

Is it that true that after lasik the cornea flap never...

New postby Patrina » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

Is it that true that after lasik the cornea flap never heals?

I want to get lasik done but am scared coz of all the controversies! they say that the cornea flap lifted to do the laser surgery never heals and that it attracts dirt which collect in the eyes over time. and also, ppl have dry eyes/glares/halos forever! pls help me.
Patrina

New postby Roxanne » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

LASIK flaps heal...and very quickly. I'm not sure where you got the information that the flaps never heal, but that information is false.

My husband had LASIK nearly two months ago and he has been told that the edges of his corneal flaps had healed (no way for any dirt to get in) and that the corneal epithelium at the site of the flap had already grown together to create the seal in 24 hours.

Yes, dry eyes are very common after LASIK, but that gets better as the cornea heals. The halos are also a very common occurrence after the surgery, but over time improve a lot.

I, myself, had PRK a month ago. My dry eyes are doing a lot better. I do not feel like I need artificial tears as often as I use them, but I also have a job where I am on the computer 100% of the time, and now a part time job that is also 100%...keeping me on the computer for 14-16 hours a day, not blinking as much as I should...hence, keeping the artificial tears going.

I do see halos or "firework thingys". They are becoming less and less bothersome...and I think they're actually quite pretty lol. The only time I see them is at night when the pupils are dilated beyond my lasered cornea. They are getting smaller and less bothersome as the weeks go by...and I'm only 4 weeks out from my surgery.

If you are interested in getting LASIK, research two or three surgeons in your area, and get a consultation from your top choice.

The procedure is quite safe and the lasers of today are MUCH better than they were when refractive surgery first came out in the mid 90s.

There really isn't too much controversy. As with ANY surgery, there is some potential for complications; however, the serious complication rate is 5%, and many of these complications are due to noncompliance with the postop instructions or surgeon incompetence. The surgeon is the KEY! Do not put your eyes in the hands of the lowest bidder...these are the only eyes you will have. It is well worth spending the money instead of going to the advertised "$299 per eye" places. Choose a surgeon you are comfortable with. Take a list of questions and concerns with you for them to address.

I do not know where you had heard that the flap never heals. It does...and very quickly...I had my epithelium removed and it was healed over in four days! I was scared too, but with my surgeon (and he was AWESOME!!) I felt very comfortable and in very, very capable hands.

I hope I've been of some help. Use the links below. There is a ton of information in there...and more that you can get to from the Laser surgery home section on that site. There's even a starting list of some important questions to ask. Both my husband and I had refractive surgery using a highly recommended, very well educated, corneal focused surgeon and we have both had very good outcomes.
Roxanne

A doctor has removed a thin layer from my sister's...

New postby Frida » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

A doctor has removed a thin layer from my sister's right eye for Lasik then he decided that the cornea is too?

Thin to continue the procedure. After removing the layer he got nervous and was extremely scared. He put the layer back, covered her eye and told her she'll be ok in a few days. What do you think guys? Is that normal?
Frida

New postby Titus » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

I'm fairly certain that they can measure the thickness of the cornea before the operation. Some diagnosis cannot be made until a surgery is performed though. I would ask an ophthalmologist if they can measure the thickness of your cornea without surgery. If they can, then the next step is to determine if the lasik procedure requires the measurement to be performed prior to surgery. If it was, and they didn't request you to do it (or if they didn't do it themselves) then there may be legal action you can take. You should only really seek legal action if she actually paid for the procedure, and/or if your sister developed other symptoms because of the surgery. Otherwise, if she didn't pay, and her eyes are fine, no need to sue.
Titus

Lasik - Cornea Swelling & Fluctuating vision?

New postby Ashley » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

I just did my lasik 1 week ago with intralase. when i went for post op check up today.doc says my cornea is a swollen and my vision is fluctuating (i.e : sometimes clear, sometimes unclear).

doc says it's a personal reaction.just wondering if there's anything i have done after op to caused it? or can anything be done on my part to reduce the swelling now?

has anybody experienced that before? how long after lasik will it take for eyesight to stabalise?

have only done 1 eye.and i'm worried about the second eye now =(
Ashley

New postby Gricelda » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

Fluctuating vision is quite normal immediately after Lasik surgery. You should give yourself enough time to recover properly. If your doctor has seen it and is not too worried you should just give yourself chance to heal and hopefully all will be well.

Here's a website with some advice about eye care after Lasik. I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Gricelda

I Scratched My Cornea Could That Make My Lasik Eye Surgery..

New postby Stephanie » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

I Scratched My Cornea Could That Make My Lasik Eye Surgery Go Bad?

Hello, last year I scratched my Cornea in the locker room at hockey. I'm still only 14 but when I turn 19 or 20 I want to get Lasik. Will that mess up the surgery? And i know its bad but sometimes i go like 5 days without taking my contacts out. lol. It doesn't really hurt so I don't care. Will that mess it up?
Stephanie

New postby Gino » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

A corneal scratch usually heals itself within a few days, if you left the contacts out. That shouldn't be a problem.

But what could likely cause you problems down the road is doing stupid things like leaving your contacts in for 4 or 5 days.

You say you know it's bad...so why do you do it ?
Gino

A lasik surgeon may smooth out striae (cornea flap...

New postby Sue » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

A lasik surgeon may smooth out striae (cornea flap wrinkles), with a wick cell. What is a wick cell?

When Lasik is performed, a flap is slit into the top of the conea and folded back in order for the lazer to work inside the cornea, then the flap is folded back down in place. Sometimes, when it is folded back down into place, it has wrinkles, (striae) like window tint that has wrinkles in it from not being smoothed down into place well enough. A wick cell can be used to smooth out the wrinkles in the cornea. What is a wick cell?
Sue

New postby Queen » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

It is an instrument that they use that is a round metal piece with a hole in the center on a handle.
Queen

My eyes appear slightly wonky bcuase of astigmatism. Will...

New postby Alysa » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

My eyes appear slightly wonky bcuase of astigmatism. Will Lasik cure this as it reshapes the cornea?
Alysa

New postby Calvin » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

Lasik can correct astigmatism, but depends on how much. There is a limit on how much they can correct. The important thing is to find a reputable surgeon in your area and have a lasik consult- they are usually free. And they can do all the measurements and tell you if you are a good candidate.
Hope this helps!!
Calvin

After lasik, does your cornea ever heal completely or is...

New postby Mariann » 25 Oct 2012, 15:16

After lasik, does your cornea ever heal completely or is it just a flap forever? After lasik, does your cornea ever heal completely or is it just a flap forever?
Mariann

New postby Luanna » 25 Oct 2012, 15:17

It heals over time. It takes 1 month for it to heal down so you can't move it (no eye rubbing for 1 month). If you need any retreatments though, the doctor can relift it even after 5-10 years. Eventually it does heal down though.
Luanna

Can I donate my corneas after LASIK surgery or PRK?

New postby Lavone » 25 Oct 2012, 15:17

Does anyone know if I can donate my corneas after I die if I get LASIK or PRK done on my eyes? Does anyone know if I can donate my corneas after I die if I get LASIK or PRK done on my eyes?
Lavone

Next

Return to Other - Health