Saving rate

Is It Safe To Jump From Bank To Bank For Saving Rate?

New postby Linh » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

I just don't know if it safe to jump from one bank to another for a higher interest saving rate? I have around $15k and would like to earn the highest return as i can on a short term without any risk. I don't want to put into CD account for more than a year cause i might missed other great offer from other bank.
1) is it easy and safe to switch from one to another?
Linh

New postby Krysta » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

Yes it is posible to change your bank for higher return but before jumping you should strenght and rating of the bank in which you transfer your money.
Krysta

Effect of an increase in the saving rate on the rate of...

New postby Lilliana » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

Effect of an increase in the saving rate on the rate of economic growth?

Why is it important to distinguish the short-run from the
long-run in analyzing the effect of an increase in the
saving rate on the rate of economic growth?
Lilliana

New postby Gino » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

LONG RUN:

Savings can be viewed as the supply of loanable funds and investments the demand of loanable funds. increase in savings will possibly mean a higher interest expected or observed, thus the change.

Graphically this will cause the supply to shift out, meaning a lower interest rates and higher investment activities.

in the long run, as you can see, i've shown you that it doesnt really matter, as market will shift to equilibrium, and in fact it's for the betterment of the economy!

SHORT RUN
in the short run however, remember the keynesian theory, which holds a different view than the classical theory in many aspects, and to quote the late economist Mr. Keynes, "in the long run we are all dead".

Keynes viewed delibrate savings as a bad thing for the economy, because then market liquidity becomes more of a problem than an advantage.

The accumulation of capital assets becomes an economic obstacle rather than an economic advantage. Investment and employment is stimulated by inflation and hindered by price declines.

everyone starts savings, interest rate falls, thus it is bad for the economy as it starts to contract.

THE SHORT OR LONG RUN DIFFERENCE:

it is so important to differentiate between the period in question whether it is in the short run or long run, it does make a difference because different concepts apply in different terms.
Gino

Macroeconimocs: Other things the same, a country that...

New postby Kisha » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

Macroeconimocs: Other things the same, a country that increases its saving rate increases?

A. its future productivity and future real GDP.
b. neither its future productivity nor future real GDP.
c. its future productivity, but not its future real GDP.
d. its future real GDP, but not its future productivity.
Kisha

New postby Kasey » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

This question sounds like its reffering to the Solow Growth model. In that case, increased savings will result in increased investment and a higher amount of (per capita) capital in equilibrium. This will increase future GDP but not productivity (d).
Kasey

If a country were to increase its saving rate, in the long..

New postby Hayden » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

If a country were to increase its saving rate, in the long run it would also increase its?

A. level of income.
b. growth rate of productivity.
c. All of the above are correct.
Hayden

New postby Louise » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

The correct answer is : c. All of the above are correct..
But that is theoretical and assuming that all savings are converted into investments in production / productivity enhancing technology, skill formation, equipment and infrastructure.
In reality, many Govt. controlled economies waste lots of savings by spending them in zero or low yielding projects that are virtually in the nature of current consumption and contributes nothing to production / productivity growth
Louise

What can be done to increase the saving rate in south...

New postby Salley » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

What can be done to increase the saving rate in south africa?

South Africa’s savings rate is currently 13.8% of GDP – low by international standards. Despite initiatives like the Mzansi bank account which aims to take banking services to the previously “unbanked” and the introduction of the retail bond, the rate is not improving. What can be done to improve our savings rate? [about 1,500 words]
Salley

New postby Gricelda » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

I think this is more of a case study. If you look back, in recent years, there have been many uprising economy stars in Asia. It has been awhile since I opened my Macro book, so I won't be able to be technical. When saving goes up there will be more money to lend out. This means there is more capital to spare, which should encourage businesses to borrow more money. Also, when a country has to obtain its currency like South Africa, they will want people to save more. Asia, such as Japan and Korea, encouraged people to save by implanting banking system in publicly operated areas, such as in elementary, middle, high schools, government operated buildings, and more. They also looked into a long run where they believe by placing in public schools and encouraging them to deposit every week for a good habit. This allowed these two giant countries to increase savings while they were growing. Now, they no longer promote this system since they are the one who are domestically producing, not importing nations. They actually encourage people to spend money in many cases. Especially in Korea, they would call the growth "shop until drop". People would spend so much money that businesses have to boom at some point.
Gricelda

How can I find out how much the bank saving interest rate...

New postby Hana » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

How can I find out how much the bank saving interest rate was in 1924? How can I find out how much the bank saving interest rate was in 1924?
Hana

New postby Marisela » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

The enabling act for the federal reserve was passed in December of 1913, so the federal reserve was in operation before your target year. Try the website for a history or statistical report. You might search the Treasury Dept website for that as well.
Marisela

Why does China's saving rate remain so high at 30%...

New postby May » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

Why does China's saving rate remain so high at 30% while that of developed countries is much lower? Why does China's saving rate remain so high at 30% while that of developed countries is much lower?
May

New postby Sharron » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

The mainly reason is chinese people are not use to finance their money, and people are accustomed to save money. It is just the preference of chinese guys.
Sharron

The best interest rate for saving account?

New postby Truman » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

I'm living in California. I'm thinking about opening a saving account. I wonder what bank can offer me the best interest and safety. Please give me your advice. Thank you very much.
Truman

New postby Mercedes » 22 Oct 2012, 09:14

Because the Fed's are cutting their rates; brick and mortar banks are cutting their interest rates on savings accounts too

you could use www.ingdirect.com

they have good rates for savings accounts
Mercedes

Next

Return to Personal Finance