Roman Virgil

Is Virgil The Greatest Roman Poet?

New postby Tonie » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

Is Virgil the greatest roman poet? Why? IS he better than Horace or Ovidius? Is Virgil the greatest roman poet? Why? IS he better than Horace or Ovidius?
Tonie

New postby Jeanice » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

Obviously that's a subjective answer, and popular opinion has gone back and forth over the years. Personally I think Vergil is the greatest, but Ovid is my second. Certainly I think the Aeneid, written by Vergil, is assumed by most to be the greatest work of Latin literature, comparable to the Iliad of Homer. So he's got that going for him. One measure of success also is that pretty much all of the Aeneid has survived 2000 years- that's saying a lot. Ask different people who their favorite is and you'll get different answers, but I think most people would recognize that Vergil was the most influential of all Roman poets, the most remembered, and the most celebrated over the years.

So that kind of answers your question about why I think he's better- he's been more influential, more remembered, and more celebrated. Another reason is that he wrote the really only surviving Epic of Latin literature, or at least the only one popularly known. Ovid was great because his stories were wonderful, and wonderfully written, but it can be argued I think that he mostly cobbled together extant stories and put them all in one place. I think that's being very unfair, but it's a criticism you could make. And although Vergil has nods to other writers (most notably Homer) and stories in his work, it's mostly an original piece as far as we can tell.

Bonus: In the first lines of the book, Vergil implicitly states that he's going to outdo Homer by combining the style of the Iliad and the Odyssey into one narrative, shorter AND better than those originals. Pretty gutsy.

Hope this helps
Jeanice

Can anyone cite a translation of Virgil or other Roman...

New postby Rosette » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

Can anyone cite a translation of Virgil or other Roman that asked "What is the value of a thrifty meal?"

There used to be a translation of "The Art of Poetry" at the library. I remember it being attributed to Virgil, but cannot find such a work attributable to Virgil. It was a book with two translations. The first one was somewhat mechanical and lacked the beauty of the second translation.

In this work it asked "What is the value of a thrifty meal?" I cannot find that expression with an exact Google search that leads to the translation.

It also said that in writing, one should say at once what needs to be said at once. There was also a brilliant characterization of going from young to old.

I could all but swear it was by Virgil and the translation concerned his work called "The Art of Poetry." It did not say Horace's "Art of Poetry" on the book and I have read Horace and found it completely different.

I can't figure out why such a work is not listed when researching Virgil. I have looked and looked in an effort to find this translation and have found nothing.

Any lead is appreciated
Rosette

New postby Abdul » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

"What is the value of a thrifty meal?"

the Dollar menu at McDonalds is thrifty,
but who wants to eat that stuff?
Abdul

Can we consider Virgil (the great Roman poet) as a...

New postby Kiersten » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

Can we consider Virgil (the great Roman poet) as a romantic poet?

I found one site ( http://members.aol.com/heraklit1/poets.htm ) where Vigil (the great roman poet '70-19BC' ) was included in the catogory of romantic poets. Can anyone tell me weather it is right to consider virgil as a poet beloging to the romantic era.
Added to that another site said "And all through the Medieval and Renaissance epochs, and down to the rise of the revolutionary and romantic outburst of the nineteenth century, Virgil reigned supreme."

Please help!1
Kiersten

New postby Abbey » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

Usually, when people talk about Romantic poetry, they are referring to a literary movement that flourished in England in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_poetry

When people refer to poets from other times and places as "Romantics," they usually mean that the work of those other poets has certain traits in common with the writings of the English Romantics -- such as reverence for nature or glorification of the individual. Some mid-20th century American Beat poets, for example, are often compared to the Romantics. Whether you think Virgil merits such a comparison depends on what themes you find in his work.
Abbey

How and why does Virgil focus positively on the Romans and..

New postby Tawna » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

How and why does Virgil focus positively on the Romans and negatively on the Greeks in "The Aeneid"? How and why does Virgil focus positively on the Romans and negatively on the Greeks in "The Aeneid"?
Tawna

New postby Magaret » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

The whole point of The Aeneid was to make Rome look awesome, basically. :) Thus, Virgil portrayed the Romans in a positive light. The main themes of The Aneid included loyalty and duty to one's homeland. Since it was written by a Roman for Romans, it tried to portray that homeland as grand and worthy. I think the Romans were or had been at war with the Greeks.
Magaret

What is Virgil trying to teach the Romans about themselves..

New postby Christeen » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

What is Virgil trying to teach the Romans about themselves in The Aeneid? What is Virgil trying to teach the Romans about themselves in The Aeneid?
Christeen

New postby Cameron » 29 Oct 2012, 14:02

He is not trying to teach them anything.
He was a poet, not a teacher.
Cameron

Return to Poetry