Basement Flooded

My Basement Flooded, How Do I Get The Mildew And Smell Out?

New postby Kacy » 29 Oct 2012, 03:55

I've tried bleach and water and also charcole and nothing seems to work! I've tried bleach and water and also charcole and nothing seems to work!
Kacy

New postby Jamika » 29 Oct 2012, 03:55

OK as a contractor I'll help you out with this

1st i imagine you have all ready removed all damaged goods including the carpet and other forms of flooring

2nd you still have a mildew smell in your basement this says that you still have moisture around. With this i would do 2 things completely remove all objects from the basement ( Relocating those objects to the Garage). Then rent a liquid propane heater that contractors use. this will remove all the moisture from the air in your basement.( Check on this from time to time for safety reasons ).

3rd I would then use a Dehumidifier to continue keeping the air dry. and then i would start searching for other possible locations where the moisture is coming from.

4th The objects that you pulled out of the basement need to be examined to see if they still hold the mildew smell. Furniture involving fabric and foams like couches should be thrown away they cant be fixed. Other objects that can be safely cleaned and dry ed need to be washed before being brought back to the basement.

5th By this time your basement should be dry and you can tell where the leaks are coming from. You may need to use Rubber based paint to keep water from seeping into your basement.

Signed Tim
Jamika

Our basement flooded what should I clean it with besides...

New postby Kecia » 29 Oct 2012, 03:55

Our basement flooded what should I clean it with besides bleach?

We had 4 feet of water. I just want to get the musty smell out and make sure all the molds are killed. Any advise?
Kecia

New postby Monte » 29 Oct 2012, 03:55

Bleach and ventilation should help. Be careful mold can cause all sorts of problems.
Monte

My basement flooded and now my water heater will not work...

New postby Leigh » 29 Oct 2012, 03:55

My basement flooded and now my water heater will not work. Is this a common problem?

After my basement flooded, I pumped all the water out. Now the hot water tank(gas) will not ignite. Is there some sort of floater kill switch? Is this a common thing that I can fix or something I will be needing professional help with?
The unit is less than 18 months old and was not the cause of the flooding. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Leigh

New postby Laurene » 29 Oct 2012, 03:55

On the bottom of the gas valve there are 2 tubes coming out. 1 is the thermocouple, the other is the pilot burner tube, should be silver in color. Disconnect the pilot burner tube from the gas valve(3/8ths or 7/16ths wrench will work). Turn the gas off to the heater first. Blow through the tube until you hear air coming out, you'll probably hear water sputtering too. Re-assemble it and then try to light it again. It's most likely just flooded. I have a basement with the same problem that I've done this to the water heater twice and it still works.
Laurene

I live in Wisconsin and my basement flooded. Is there a...

New postby Britney » 29 Oct 2012, 03:55

I live in Wisconsin and my basement flooded. Is there a 'green' way to clean or do i Have to use bleach?

We received over 8" inches of rain on sat. & sun. and my basement took on about 4. I got most everything out, but now I need to clean. Bleach gives me such a headache. Can I use anything else or is bleach the only way to go?
Britney

New postby Zack » 29 Oct 2012, 03:56

I own a cleaning company in NY and deal with this..
The only benefit to bleach is that it will disinfect all viruses and bacteria.. I'm used to a commercial grade chemical but you can use a green chemical from Home Depot just make sure it's a disinfectant.. Alot of green chemicals aren't...
Good luck
Zack

Our basement flooded, is there a product that will absorp...

New postby Kelley » 29 Oct 2012, 03:56

Our basement flooded, is there a product that will absorp the water left in the carpet after cleaning? Kim?

Our basement recently flooded and we have used the shop vac to get most of the water out of the carpeting but there is still some of the mildew smell left. I thought I saw a product that will absorb the remaining water and eliminate the mildew smell.
Any suggestions?
Thank You!
Kim
Kelley

New postby Terrilyn » 29 Oct 2012, 03:56

I do not know of this product - but I would try to get my hands on an" Electrolux" carpet shampoo machine and give it a dry shampoo.
This machine just brushes the caret with a special foam cleaner that crystallizes when it is dry. If you could do this out in the sun it will dry faster, after which you just vacuum off the
crystallized powder-like cleaner.
This will be the only good way to save your carpet I think - the sun also disinfects things
Terrilyn

My basement flooded in the storm that hit yesterday. How...

New postby Lashunda » 29 Oct 2012, 03:56

My basement flooded in the storm that hit yesterday. How can I make it stop?

We got 7 inches of rain in New York. I have a finished downstairs with an attached garage. We have swept the water, shoveled it used a shop vac and poured the water in the garage sink. The water level has not receded. I also have water coming out of a hole in the garage floor (which I thought was for drainage). Any advice will be appreciated.
Lashunda

New postby Danyel » 29 Oct 2012, 03:56

Oh boy. Let's start with the easy stuff. Check your downspouts to make sure they are not ponding water next to the house. Water needs to be let out away from the house and carried off.....maybe a French drain to the far side of the yard. Also drains can be put around the whole house to carry water off.

Check the ground level around the house, it sould force water away. Over time and with landscaping, soil levels can drop.

Could be drain in foor is plugged.......over time stuff gets in there, tree roots invade the pipe, etc. RotoRooter time. Does the driveway drain into the garage (like mine) Then an interceptor drain can be installed to catch the water before it rolls under the doors.

Now as for the basement, do you have a sump pump? Is it working? Hopefully it is just clogged.

Seven inches in unusual, few pumps can handle that amount. I know that doesn't help right now. Is the water coming up from the floor, through the walls? You'll need to hire someone knowledgeable about sump pumps, drainage, etc to evaluate the house.

In mean time, keep after the water. Things sound terrible.
Danyel

Return to Repairs