Concrete Anchor Bolt

How Can I Reattach A Hurricane Bolt Anchor That Has Come...

New postby Jeniffer » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

How can I reattach a hurricane bolt anchor that has come out of my concrete block wall?

I moved into a new concrete block and stucco house that has permanent anchors around the windows for bolting on the hurricane shutters (metal panels). Some of the screw-in anchors have come out. Can I plug the holes with cement and drill a new hole to reattach the anchors? Or is there a better fix? What type of cement or substance should I use to plug the holes?
Jeniffer

New postby Roscoe » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

I would recommend using an epoxy to install the anchors. You get a better hold, with no crumbling of the mortar.

Just remove the loose anchors, and fill the holes with epoxy, to reset the anchors. I would recommend using NEW anchors too, go ahead and replace the hold ones, so your bolt/screw will get a new grip on the inner surface of the anchor.

Good Luck
Roscoe

Is there a marked difference in the strength of anchor...

New postby Valda » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

Is there a marked difference in the strength of anchor bolts set in concrete vs. drilling and epoxying after.

The pour? planning on erecting a metal building but i would rather pour the slab first and figure out the placement of the load bearing verticals later for numerous reasons i wont go into here. (for specification im referring of course to long term strength in 3-5000 psi concrete fully cured, unified slab, with the footer below anchor pads 12" deep. vs long term strength of the good quality 2-part porcelain epoxy with the bolt driven as deep as allowed.)
Valda

New postby Hassie » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

Using bolts secured by expoxy, you can achieve a strength of 31,000 lbs under tension, or 16,000 lbs of shear force, with a 1.25" diameter bolt installed 18.75" deep in concrete, using Simpson Company's AT (acrylic) expoxy.

Lower tension and shear force loads can be achieved with smaller diameter bolts, installed in shorter holes.

These are comparable to loads sustained by their SSTB embedded foundation bolts.

Check out the latest Wood Connector Catalog issued by the Simpson Strong-Tie Company. The above values were found in their 2006 catalog, pp 29-32 and 33-34.
Hassie

How can I find about methods of anchor bolts installing in..

New postby Lizzette » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

How can I find about methods of anchor bolts installing in concrete foundations? How can I find about methods of anchor bolts installing in concrete foundations?
Lizzette

New postby Devon » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

I never did it before when I drilled the right sized holes with the drills of a kind you can get at any hardware store. Mine were needed vertically so i needed no stickum. You can use gorilla glue in the hole or ask your hardware man what he thinks would be best. You can also use special lead "mollies" to insert in the holes and screw the bolts into the mollies.
Devon

How is concrete anchor bolts made?

New postby Sachiko » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

How is concrete anchor bolts made?
Sachiko

New postby Vannesa » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

They don't make anchor bolts out of concrete, they are metal, most typically carbon steel. The anchor bolts are often set in concrete to hold equipment or building components in place.
Vannesa

Where can I purchase american made hardware,(tek screws,...

New postby Salley » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

Where can I purchase american made hardware,(tek screws, toggle bolts, concrete anchors.? Where can I purchase american made hardware,(tek screws, toggle bolts, concrete anchors.?
Salley

New postby Tobias » 24 Oct 2012, 04:16

You can try the local hardware stores or the big ones. Then, you can check the product where it was made. It's usually printed on it near the barcode.
Tobias

Return to Repairs

LINKS

Masonry & Concrete Anchors - Anchors - The Home Depot
Shop our selection of Masonry & Concrete Anchors in the Tools & Hardware ... Polymer Plated Steel Hex-Washer-Head Indoor/Outdoor Concrete Anchors ...

Anchors | Fastenal
1/2" x 5-1/2" Trubolt Zinc Plated Carbon Steel Wedge Anchor. ITW Red ... 1/4" x 2 -1/8" Tie Wire Wedge Anchor Zinc ... Shear Connectors & Concrete Anchors ...

Concrete anchors - YouTube
Nov 7, 2011 ... Concrete anchors are a heavy duty anchor for fixing objects to masonry surfaces. Here we use a thru bolt to demonstrate how to fix a piece of ...

Shop Anchor Bolts at Lowes.com
For attaching bottom plate or sill plate to newly poured concrete foundation; Hot- dipped galvanized anchor bolts and plates are recommended when working ...