Fix Water Damage

How Do I Fix Water Damage To Wood Table?

New postby Therese » 26 Oct 2012, 08:18

I have a wood table which a puddle of water was left on all night and the wood underneath is is bubbly and bumpy. Is there any way to protect it from peeling or getting worse? Or should I just leave it alone?
Therese

New postby Dian » 26 Oct 2012, 08:18

It sounds like you have a table top made of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), a particle board product.
To confirm what the substrate is, if the table can be extended open the top and examine the edge. Does it have a natural wood grain, or distinct layers of plywood, or wood particles compressed together? If not, examine the bottom of the table top for clues
If it is a particle board, while the image layer may be a thin veneer, it sounds like a printed image paper layer. The sitting water has seeped through the image layer and swelled the wood particles below.
This usually cannot be reversed. You could try to dry and compress the fibers again by placing a dry steam iron on the spot, but the risk is great that you would damage the image further and make it more noticeable.
Plywood would usually not become bubbly and bumpy, and a solid wood would not swell in that way at all.
Dian

How to fix water damage under my sink?

New postby Geneva » 26 Oct 2012, 08:18

You know the kind, the cabinet gets all warped and the lining is raggy from some mishap like the dishwasher drain hose disconnecting from the drain pipe.
It's how it was when I moved in. It's dry, no mold, just annoying for me because I want to make the house as "perfect" as possible and the warping makes some of the things I store under there tip over. Clutter-y
Any ideas to fix this?
Is there a way to fix it so if there's another mishap it doesn't warp my cabinet?
Geneva

New postby Marquerite » 26 Oct 2012, 08:18

I figure : The cabinet is made out of particle board(which swells when it gets wet(and basically falls apart)
The only thing you can do is cut out the rot(warp,swollen)board and replace with a piece of plywood(which you paint with an oil based paint first on both sides and let it dry a day or 2 in the sun before putting it in as a patch.)Make it so that this "patch" slopes to the front - so if a leak should happen, the water will just not sit there, but will run out the door onto the floor.(It will anyways once there is enough water, but why have any sitting there when it does not need to?)
You could even use particle board again(so long as you use OIL based paint and prime it on all sides)
Then after you have the new piece nailed in, silicone the gaps if there are any. Wait a day and another coat of oil based paint(finish coat stuff - not primer over the top) and the walls of the cabinet as well.
Marquerite

How to fix water damage on wood furniture?

New postby Yoko » 26 Oct 2012, 08:18

I have some bumps on my wood table due to water, I guess the wood absorbed it and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it without damaging the table to much. I have some bumps on my wood table due to water, I guess the wood absorbed it and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it without damaging the table to much.
Yoko

New postby Glenna » 26 Oct 2012, 08:18

Bumps probably means it is veneer. The only repair for a veneer table it to cut out the damaged portion and replace it with new veneer. This is not a job that you can get right on the first try. So if it is good furniture take it to a refinisher. He should give you an estimate first as this could exceed the value of some pieces.
Glenna

Can replacing a new battery in a Sony Ericsson W580i fix...

New postby Glynis » 26 Oct 2012, 08:18

Can replacing a new battery in a Sony Ericsson W580i fix water damage?

I only had this Sony Ericsson for about 2 months. I dropped it in a sink and I took it out right away. I took out the battery and the SIM card and dried it. Now, could it be possible if I replace the battery that it will work?
Glynis

New postby Shana » 26 Oct 2012, 14:27

Try the steps below:
(1) IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THE BATTERY. VERY VERY IMPORTANT!
(2) As soon as possible (preferably within 20-30 minutes). dissassemble the phone using Torx T6 screwdriver. (Get this off eBay or service depots, etc) Make an emergency trip to Sears/RadioShack/ACE/service depot/etc.
(3) Clean/dry as much as you can, using Q-Tips
(4) Dry the electronics components under a desk lamp on a paper towel for 24 hours.
(5) Use a blow dryer, set on warm. Blow dry the phone. Make sure your battery and sim card are out of the phone.
(6) Reassemble the phone
(7) Put back together
(8) Only now it's safe to put the battery back in.

You can also leave the battery and sim out. Leave your phone out in the sun. Let it dry.

You can possibly try a new battery in your phone and it might go back to normal. I got a new battery in my phone after I got water damage on my phone. Then everything seemed to work ok after I did that. Granted the phone is never really perfectly okay after you do get water on your phone.
Shana

How do you fix water damage in a mobile home?

New postby Dalia » 26 Oct 2012, 14:27

How do you fix water damage in a mobile home? How do you fix water damage in a mobile home?
Dalia

New postby Erick » 26 Oct 2012, 14:27

Probably the way you fix it in a regular home... depending on where it is... walls, floor etc... rip it up and out and replace...!!!
Erick

How can I fix water damage to an iPod?

New postby Orpha » 26 Oct 2012, 14:27

Well I had my iPod for years now it's the iPod nano 1st generation and it got washed in the washer yesterday. I pluged it on the charger today and it lit up then shut off. There has to b a way to fix it.
Orpha

New postby Noelle » 26 Oct 2012, 14:27

Uhhhhhh...

You could take it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy...MAYBE.

There's usually no way to fix electronics that have been exposed to water...

There are better iPods out there anyway, like the iTouch.
Noelle

How do you fix water damage on a cell phone?

New postby Adriana » 26 Oct 2012, 14:27

I currently got my cell phone stolen and i am using an old nokia that is ducttaped together because it is falling apart.i do however have another nokia flip phone that i could use, but two rows of the buttons do not work because of water damage, is there any way i could fix this? I currently got my cell phone stolen and i am using an old nokia that is ducttaped together because it is falling apart.i do however have another nokia flip phone that i could use, but two rows of the buttons do not work because of water damage, is there any way i could fix this?
Adriana

New postby Sigrid » 26 Oct 2012, 14:27

I work at RadioShack and water damage is a common occurence here. I can repair cellphones myself but I have to tell you this. Due to the nature of electronics, and the various tiny parts inside your phone, water damage is irreversible! Youll have to get another phone. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but its true. Once a cellphone has touched water, its as good as dead!
Sigrid

Does changing the battery on your cell phone fix water...

New postby Hanh » 26 Oct 2012, 14:27

Does changing the battery on your cell phone fix water damage?

I have mild water damage on my cell phone and it only works if i have 3-4 signal bars
i heard that if you get a new battery for your phone, it repairs the damage.
is this true?
Hanh

New postby Klara » 26 Oct 2012, 14:27

No, the water causes electricity to go where it should not in the actual circuitry of the phone. You will need a whole new phone.
Klara

Next

Return to Repairs