Wood Water Damage

How Do I Fix Water Damage To Wood Table?

New postby Annabelle » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

I have a wood table which a puddle of water was left on all night and the wood underneath is is bubbly and bumpy. Is there any way to protect it from peeling or getting worse? Or should I just leave it alone?
Annabelle

New postby Gladys » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

It sounds like you have a table top made of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), a particle board product.
To confirm what the substrate is, if the table can be extended open the top and examine the edge. Does it have a natural wood grain, or distinct layers of plywood, or wood particles compressed together? If not, examine the bottom of the table top for clues
If it is a particle board, while the image layer may be a thin veneer, it sounds like a printed image paper layer. The sitting water has seeped through the image layer and swelled the wood particles below.
This usually cannot be reversed. You could try to dry and compress the fibers again by placing a dry steam iron on the spot, but the risk is great that you would damage the image further and make it more noticeable.
Plywood would usually not become bubbly and bumpy, and a solid wood would not swell in that way at all.
Gladys

How to fix water damage on wood furniture?

New postby Jeniffer » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

I have some bumps on my wood table due to water, I guess the wood absorbed it and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it without damaging the table to much. I have some bumps on my wood table due to water, I guess the wood absorbed it and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it without damaging the table to much.
Jeniffer

New postby Louann » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

Bumps probably means it is veneer. The only repair for a veneer table it to cut out the damaged portion and replace it with new veneer. This is not a job that you can get right on the first try. So if it is good furniture take it to a refinisher. He should give you an estimate first as this could exceed the value of some pieces.
Louann

Can fake stucco be a big problem?I"ve heard things...

New postby Ronna » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

Can fake stucco be a big problem?I"ve heard things such as water wood damage and termites!? Can fake stucco be a big problem?I"ve heard things such as water wood damage and termites!?
Ronna

New postby Eleni » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

The industry used this on commercial buildings under names such as Drive It. The problems occur when the unfinished edges of the stucco sheets are exposed to moisture. Some panels actually wick moisture from the air. The wet panel then delaminates, wicks the moisture to adjoining wood trim, and if in contact with the ground, invites wood destroying insects into the structure. Mold can also become a problem in humid areas.

There was a recall several years ago or maybe it was a class action suit. You might try to find the manufacturer and ask questions.
Eleni

My wood floors have water damage but there was no leak....

New postby Russel » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

My wood floors have water damage but there was no leak. how did this happen?

Got new wood floors about a year ago but now they have ridges popping up and are getting darker. this only happened in the kitchen, but there were no leaks or anything. what could it be? and how do i prevent it in the future? they used sealer on the concrete before installation so i dont think its moisture coming through the slab.
no, i dont think mold causes water damage. mold is a result of moisture, but there is no mold on my floors
Russel

New postby Kasey » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

Well there are a few things that it could be.
just cuz they used a sealer does not mean anything.
if the floor was put in correct and lets say it was.
there could be a water leak in the pips in the floor.
now there are 2 ways to find out if its leaking.
first find you water meter outside.
AT NIGHT before you go to bed take the reading off it.
lets say it says 75683.2 if the leak is small and im sure it would be the 2 is the number you need to watch very closely.
go to bed do not use any water what so ever.
in the morn check it if it moved to 3 or 4 then that means you have a leak somewhere.
the problem is with this if you WC (toilet) has a small leak or a faucet is drippin then it will cause it to move also.
to fix this problem if you know 1 is leaking lets say the WC shut the valve off under the WC same with the sink and so on.
2nd way is to call someone out that checks for leaks.
I have and use several different ways to find out thses problems. some will listen for a leak some will use other ways.
Now it could be the drain line if the pipe is broke or leaking underground it can cause this.
((you could use dye but this takes a long time to soak into the wood to show up. and if its taken a long time for the water to come up this would not help. But if you call someone they could find this out also.
Now for the BAD NEWS>
you cant let this go on it will ruin the rest of the floor in time. You might have to call a floor guy out to remove only that section of floor to find out the problem and go from there.
If you have any other info you think of that you didnt list here e-mail me and I will help you out.
I have been in the field 20yrs and have done several of these they all have there own little twist so if you need help drop me a line
kos101@yahoo.com
Kasey

Is there a product that will help repair water damage to...

New postby Dominga » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

Is there a product that will help repair water damage to good wood paneling?

We have expensive quality wood paneling on the interior of our houseboat. During the past year we had a water leak that caused a stain on the paneling from water standing on it. Is there a product made by Sherwin-Williams or someone that will refinish that type surface? The surface of the wood is not bubbled up or flaking, just stained. Thank you for your help.
Dominga

New postby Krystle » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

If this is a laminate or composite panel, you're going to be S-O-L. If it's a solid-wood panel, you're in luck! Regardless of what product you use, you're going to have to do a lot of sanding to get rid of the stain and the surface damages. after you get everything all sanded up, you can apply some of those re-finishing products...but you've got to sand out the damage first.

*careful of the mold....b-t-w...
Krystle

How can I patch my old metal roof? It has some small holes..

New postby Charmaine » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

How can I patch my old metal roof? It has some small holes that are causing water damage to the wood below.?

I have a old metal roof over my front porch that has some leaks in it. The leaks are causing water damage to the wood below and causing the paint to keep peeling. Are there any sealers I may use?
Charmaine

New postby Marisela » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

As far as sealers go, any old tube of silicon or latex caulk would do. Just glob out enough to cover the hole and spread it so that it covers said hole entirely...allow to set. If'n the hole is too big for a booger of sealant, then get your self a matching piece of metal (is this roof corrugated?) that is large enough to cover the hole, work and trim the metal to get a good dry fit, leaving a half to full inch overlap. Then apply a bead of sealant around all four edges on the BOTTOM side of your patch piece, press firmly into place and allow sealer to set.
Marisela

Does anyone know how to fix a warped wood floor from some...

New postby Tobias » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

Does anyone know how to fix a warped wood floor from some water damage?

I encountered some water damage in my apartment and now one section of my flooring is warped and raised does anyone know how to reverse the damage literally speaking without having to do the whole section over, by the way my apartment is ground level if that helps,thanks 10 points to best answer!
Tobias

New postby Many » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

The floor boards need to be dried out. Run a fan on it 24/7 until it is thoroughly dry. If you have a dehumidifier, running that in the room will remove moisture from the air, which in turn will evaporate from the wood. This may take care of the problem. Once the wood is stable, you may have to sand and refinish it. If the boards remain very warped, you may have no choice but to remove and replace that section. Good luck
Many

I have minor water damage to my pergo wood flooring. Is it..

New postby Mai » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

I have minor water damage to my pergo wood flooring. Is it ok to sand & refinish or wil i have to replace all?

The damaged area is pretty small. but my entire kitchen is the same flooring. There is cupping in the damaged areas and a water trail is present where the water ran.
Mai

New postby Fanny » 28 Oct 2012, 11:19

You cannot sand and refinish Pergo because it is not real wood. The surface is a picture of real wood that is laminated onto a synthetic base. If you try to sand it you will wear off the picture. No good. The only option is to replace it, and this has to be done by tearing up the floor in the reverse order it was installed. The danger in leaving it this way is mold could develop underneath. Pergo is high risk to use whenever there is any possiblity of water getting on it. Personally, I would NOT use Pergo or any other laminate flooring for this very reason, and certainly NEVER in a bathroom or kitchen. To use it in these areas is an invitation for disaster, because if you ever spill water then it's all over.
Fanny

Next

Return to Repairs