Network Security Firewalls

What Roles Do Firewalls And Proxy Servers Play In Network...

New postby Ferne » 24 Oct 2012, 14:10

What roles do firewalls and proxy servers play in network security? ?

What roles do firewalls and proxy servers play in network security? What is the importance of maintaining security on a LAN?
Ferne

New postby Alejandro » 24 Oct 2012, 14:10

Did you just drop in from outer space, or are you blond, or are you looking for someone else to do your homework???
Alejandro

What is the best firewall hardware for internet network...

New postby Bettina » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

What is the best firewall hardware for internet network security ? and why ?

I know most of firewall example netscreen , fortinet , pix , symantek and . but i dont know what is the best , please help me
Bettina

New postby Bettie » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

A good firewall is a hardware firewall basically a Router that is connected via your Cable or ADSL modem which lets you run your computer safely behind a basically Road Block which makes it some what harder to hack into your computer.

Settings up a hardware firewall is fairly easy to do.

A Cisco hardware firewall is a nice start but a little expensive.

Another alternative is to download a software firewall and running it in a linux box this is a good start also this way the box it's self is just set aside for a firewall :)

IPcop is a great start for you to try out or that of Smoothwall however a lot of people love IPcop :)
Bettie

Norton Internet security 2007 firewall blocks wireless...

New postby Orpha » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

Norton Internet security 2007 firewall blocks wireless network?

When the firewall is turned on (on my notebook) I cannot connect to my network. As soon as I turn off the firewall, it connects. I have norton internet security 2007 on both computers and they are configured with the IP addresses as a "trusted" computer in the Norton settings. Norton support could not help, they suggested reloading but still no good. I know there is someone out there that can fix this problem. Please help.
Orpha

New postby Violeta » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

Here's the complete thread of how I got my Vista laptop to network with my WinXP pcs via a wireless home network. See the section below on Norton Internet Security.

Windows Networking – Vista and WinXP
Ok. First take a deep breath and gather your patience. I wrote-up the below thread after my recent experience in networking a new Vista laptop with two existing WinXP machines. It wasn't quick but it did work, eventually. Try some of these steps:

1) Firewall settings - one of the biggest hassles. To get started I suggest you FIRST disconnect your network from the internet (for your protection), then disable ALL firewalls (including Windows firewall) on ALL machines, and then work to get your home network operating internally. What I learned on my home network is below.
1.1) My WinXP machines have ZoneAlarm and I needed to ensure that all machines on the network were in the trusted zone. Go to the Zone tab of Firewall settings in ZoneAlarm free version. Ensure all of your machines’ IP addresses are listed, as well as that of your router or wireless access point.
1.2) My Vista laptop came loaded with Norton Internet Security. Go to Norton Internet Security tab, open settings, scroll to bottom, open internet security and firewall options, open advanced settings, open configure, change default inbound NetBIOS, inbound NetBIOS name, and Block Windows File Sharing to ALLOW. Configuring this beast of an app required a lot of trial, error and googling the Symantec site and others.

2) Ensure sharing is enabled on all machines. It is quite different for Vista vs WinXP. The procedure is fairly straightforward and is well documented on the MS site and elsewhere. In Network and Sharing Center it is critical on Vista machine that you have your network configured as Private and that the Sharing and Discovery Settings are set to ON except for Password Protected Sharing.
Link for Vista: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/networ ... ta_fp.mspx
Link for WinXP: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

3) Workgroup name. Ensure you are using the same workgroup name on all machines. WinXP and Vista machines have different default workgroup names.
WinXP: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true
Vista: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... d1033.mspx
and
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... f1033.mspx

4) Download and install Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) onto the WinXP machines. Just a nicety, this enables the network map in Vista to show all machines on the network.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

5) And the final step: check the registry on your WinXP machine per MS article 913628 that I found by searching MS for "error message when you try to access a Windows XP-based network computer: "You might not have permission to use this network resource". See the article at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913628. This finally did the trick for my network.

Keep pounding away at it. It will eventually be worth it. It took me almost a week to get everything working right.
Best of luck to you …

Cheers, Gato
Violeta

What is Firewall what kind of firewall we have & how...

New postby Rosann » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

What is Firewall what kind of firewall we have & how can i know what kind I have for my security network? What is Firewall what kind of firewall we have & how can i know what kind I have for my security network?
Rosann

New postby Lesia » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

A Firewall is a program which stops other users or malicious programs from accessing ur system from the IP gateway..thereby guardind ur system and its performance

U can u use a variety of firewalls but the windows that we r using comes with a firewall...
to know whichfirewall ur using go to control panel>security center
Lesia

How do I stop CA Internet security 2007 firewall from...

New postby Macie » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

How do I stop CA Internet security 2007 firewall from interfering with my wireless network?

When the firewall is turned on (on my notebook) I cannot connect to my network. As soon as I turn off the firewall, it connects. I have CA internet security 2007 on both computers and they are configured with the IP addresses as a "trusted" computer in the CA settings. CA support could not help, they suggested reloading but still no good. I know there is someone out there that can fix this problem. Please help.

Other info: I have WinXP on the computer connected to the router and WinVista on my notebook.
*correction: I can connect to my network, but not to the internet through my network when my firewall is enabled
My windows firewall is off and my safezone is on medium. I do not want to go any lower because it would leave me too vulnerable.
Macie

New postby Edmundo » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

I do not have it but i am a basic screen shot of it...
try this. on the firewall settings where is says safe zone, go to advance. does it have anything about local areal connections or the wireless connection in there? i would try marking the zone down to low? see if it works if it does. working it something to do in the advance. setting.. i am still trying to look for you online i dont really see to many things about the fireall online. another thing you can check is go to opition see if it has any thing with the local area connection or wirless connectiong to it. do you still have the windows firewall running? it could be interferring with each other/
Edmundo

My wireless network kicks me off every 10 min or so, what...

New postby Pearline » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

My wireless network kicks me off every 10 min or so, what gives? Security is enabled and firewalled.?
Pearline

New postby Ouida » 24 Oct 2012, 14:11

Probaly EMI interference

do you have a 2.4 ghz cordless phone?

Where is the router at?

contact your isp for help on changing wirless channel and boosting signal

if your network isn't encrypted may be people kicking you off your own network
Ouida

Return to Security