Vegan Culinary Schools

Vegan Culinary Schools?

New postby Adriane » 25 Oct 2012, 22:42

I am a vegan interested in studying to become a professional chef. I would really like to complete a respected culinary program. However, I cannot find any programs that offer certificates/degrees for chefs who do not want to work with animal products. Are there any vegan chef programs? If not, what other steps can I take to gain the knowledge to start my career? Internet links for culinary programs would be greatly appreciated as well.
Adriane

New postby Mirian » 25 Oct 2012, 22:42

Hi there - I'm pretty sure the culinary program for you is the Natural Gourmet Institute (http://www.naturalgourmetschool.com/), which is the only accredited vegetarian/vegan cooking school that I know of. I graduated from their Chef's Training program in 2003, and am definitely appreciative of the culinary education I received from them (attending school in the culinary mecca that is New York City was amazing as well).

When I attended, the program was 95% vegan. There was one week in which animal foods were focused on (really just fish, eggs, and poultry - we didn't focus on red meat or pork). There were four students in our class who decided to take that week off to avoid working with the animal foods. (I decided to stay...I wanted to broaden my experience with cooking foods, even if I choose not to eat them). The program covers lots of techniques, whole-foods nutrition, business training (if you want to go into biz on your own), lectures in ayurveda, Chinese medicine, healing with food, etc. Some days are spent entirely cooking, where other days might be split between lecture and cooking.

The school will also help you secure an internship at the end of the program, which is compulsory for completing the program. It's a great opportunity to work in a professional kitchen using the skills that you've just learned in school, and also a chance to network with other culinary professionals. There are plenty of vegetarian/vegan/natural restaurants in NYC and around the country that the Natural Gourmet has sent interns - my classmates went to work in NYC, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Portland, Washington DC.

The school has some well-known alumni...Eric Tucker, who founded the Millennium Restaurant in San Francisco (very well known gourmet vegan restaurant), for one. You might have seen the movie Supersize Me, about the fellow who decided to eat only McDonalds for a month to see what it would do to his health? Well his girlfriend (who's collecting some celebrity because of her connection to Morgan Spulock, the star of the film, and because she's a vegan chef) is also a graduate of the Natural Gourmet.

Feel free to email me if you want to talk more in depth about the program!

Good luck!
Mirian

I want to open a Seventh-day Adventist vegan restaurant....

New postby Mirian » 25 Oct 2012, 22:42

I want to open a Seventh-day Adventist vegan restaurant. Are there any practical culinary schools to choose?

I want an experimental knowledge of this art that will equip me to be self-supporting. I don't want to attend a school that will just give me theoretical knowledge. I'm looking for something like a trade school. I was looking a the School of Natural Cookery that seemed pretty practical, but I'm open to suggestions.
Mirian

New postby Louann » 25 Oct 2012, 22:42

Do you have a Hare Krishna community in your town? In many cities they serve free vegetarian meals to those in need and practise a Vegetarian (and in some cases, vegan) way of life.
Louann

Where can I find a Vegetarian/Vegan Culinary School?

New postby Wes » 25 Oct 2012, 22:42

Where can I find a Vegetarian/Vegan Culinary School? Where can I find a Vegetarian/Vegan Culinary School?
Wes

New postby Morton » 25 Oct 2012, 22:42

Check out this one. It's what you would call semi-vegetarian.
http://www.naturalgourmetschool.com/
The following foods are used in their classes:
*fruits and vegetables(organic when possible)
* organic whole grains
* organic poultry
* organic legumes
* organic eggs
* organic soy foods
* organic sea vegetables
* organic natural sweeteners
* nuts and seeds(organic when possible)
* seafood

This site lists schools which are usually not 100% vegetarian, but offer a vegetarian cooking course. Some of the listed are even community colleges.

http://www.cookingschoolguide.com/cooki ... index.html
Morton

Vegan Culinary Schools?

New postby Clarice » 25 Oct 2012, 22:42

I am a vegan interested in studying to become a professional chef. I would really like to complete a respected culinary program. However, I cannot find any programs that offer certificates/degrees for chefs who do not want to work with animal products. Are there any vegan chef programs? If not, what other steps can I take to gain the knowledge to start my career? Internet links for culinary programs would be greatly appreciated as well.
Clarice

New postby Casandra » 25 Oct 2012, 22:42

I'm not sure if there's vegan chef title out there. But check these links out. There's plenty more if you do a Google search.
Casandra

Return to Vegetarian & Vegan